Introducing an exciting and new program called Beat the Peak. Beat the Peak is a member notification system that:
- shows you how electricity use varies daily and seasonally
- helps you understand that you can help reduce electricity use at specific times of the day
- relates individual member choices about electricity use to the broader effort to control costs
- allows you to voluntarily sign up to receive notices of peak demand periods
- sends you notifications (via text, email and/or voice messages) at times when you can help reduce electricity use.
The need for electricity is greatest between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. in winter months. In the summer, peak electricity usage occurs between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Higher need for electricity causes utilities to use more expensive fuels. Utilities use their most efficient and least costly generators first. Then, as electricity demand increases, utilities turn on generators that are less efficient or that use more expensive fuels. That’s why higher electricity use can mean higher costs for everyone. Savings come from using as little electricity during these high demand times of the day since it costs more to generate electricity during peak-use times.
it truly helps when we work together to reduce electricity use on winter mornings and summer afternoons. Get more information and sign up at
By joining the Beat the Peak program, we are uniting to save on power costs for everyone.